Twist & Drill
(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
With the Twist & Drill set, part of Alex's Little Hands line, preschoolers can work with realistic plastic tools to create four different paper models. The set comes with a battery-powered drill with forward and reverse action, as well as a screwdriver handle for manual twisting and three interchangeable drill bits. Kids can use the 28 plastic, chunky bolts and the power drill or screwdriver to put together four vehicles with spinning wheels. The set also comes with a practice board so that kids can get the hang of using the power drill or screwdriver to tighten the bolts in place and loosen them. Assembly instructions are also included. When playtime is over, everything stores inside the box, which includes a carry handle.
Why It’s Fun
Young kids see mom or dad using tools around the house, and because kids want to emulate their parents, kids also want to work with tools. The kid-appropriate power drill and screwdriver in the Twist & Drill set are sized for smaller hands and let kids easily create, build, and feel successful as they create. Drilling and building also helps develop hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
Who It’s For
The Twist & Drill set is for ages 3 and up.
What to Be Aware of
Two AAA batteries are required for the power drill, but the batteries are not included.