(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
The newest line from Cepia, makers of the Zhu Zhu Pets, is all about simulating a safari. Instead of hamsters, these are Zhu-Fari Pets. They come in a variety of jungle animals, including an elephant, giraffe, and zebra. Some of the pets even come with babies. Each of the pets is sold separately. Press the pets' noses or backs to hear animal sounds and send the pets scurrying off. There are a variety of playsets, sold separately, that allow kids to create their own Zhu-Fari world.
Why It’s Fun
Kids really liked the Zhu Zhu Hamsters so it makes sense to expand the "Zhu-niverse", as it's called, to include other animals. Zhu-Fari Pets allow kids to imagine having their very own elephant or giraffe as a pet, something that wouldn't happen in real life. This is a great extension to a popular toy line and will engage kids in all kinds of imaginative play.
Who It’s For
Zhu-Fari Pets are for ages 4 and up.
What to Be Aware of
Each Zhu-Fari Pet comes with two AAA batteries.