CAT Shape Sorter
(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
Toy State's line of CAT-branded, value-priced vehicles and playsets allow kids to have all kinds of great construction-themed play—a classic boys play pattern. The CAT Shape Sorter is a developmental preschool toy dressed up as a cool cement mixer. This freewheeling truck has a translucent mixer drum and four basic shape blocks. Kids can drop the blocks through the correctly shaped holes and mix them up by turning the drum.
Why It’s Fun
This is a new take on a basic toy. Most shape sorters are generic or nondescript shapes. This one combines the play pattern with the activity, which supports ongoing involvement with kids in play. In addition to learning shapes and being able to identify them in different dimensional forms—knowing that the 3D star fits through the 2D star-shaped hole—the turning drum also helps kids learn pattern recognition and sequencing. That sounds like a lot of complexity for a basic shape sorter, but these are basic skills kids need, and this is a fun way to develop and reinforce them as kids play and explore.
Who It’s For
The CAT Shape Sorter is for ages 12 months and up. The chunky preschool design and play pattern will appeal to any preschooler fascinated by trucks.
What to Be Aware of
The back of the drum opens up so you can remove the blocks.