(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
The Xylophone Zoo is a toy xylophone featuring colorful zoo animals. There are three modes of play. In Animals & Colors, press the zoo animals to hear their names and what color they are. My Beats Game lets kids add animal beats as they play the xylophone. Press one or all of the animals to layer the sounds. In Follow the Lights, the animals will light up and kids must follow the lights to play along to songs. If the monkey lights up, kids must hit the monkey's xylophone key. Xylophone Zoo can be played in English or Spanish.
Why It’s Fun
This toy instrument is a great introduction to colors and music for young children. Kids will like making their own music by hitting the xylophone keys and pressing the animal buttons for animal sounds. Striking the keys with the mallet and pressing the buttons encourages motor skills, as well.
Who It’s For
Xylophone Zoo is for ages 1—4.
What to Be Aware of
Xylophone Zoo comes with three AA batteries, but these are for in-store demo purposes, and LeapFrog recommends replacing them before you play for best results.