My Discovery House
(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
My Discovery House is all about exploration and learning for babies. There are five play areas and two learning modes. Opposites Mode introduces babies to opposites as they open and close the fridge or flip the light switch. When kids do these actions, the house will say what the opposites are, such as "Open. Close." Press the book button to hear stories about opposites. The second mode is Day/Night. When the sun appears in the window, the house will talk about daytime routines. Press the book button to hear fun stories. When the moon is in the window, the house talks about nighttime routines. Press the book button to hear bedtime stories.
Why It’s Fun
There's a lot for babies to explore with the My Discovery House: opening, closing, pushing, sliding, and turning. It's a great way to help babies develop fine motor skills. All the sounds and the colorful play areas will keep babies engaged as they play.
Who It’s For
My Discovery House is for ages 6—36 months. We think it's more appropriate for 6 months—1.5 years.
What to Be Aware of
My Discovery House comes with two AA batteries, but these are for in-store demo purposes only. LeapFrog recommends replacing them before you play for best results.