(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
The Perplexus puzzle maze has fascinated players as they try to run a small BB-like ball through a spherical maze, but younger children often found it too difficult to be truly entertaining. Now there is Perplexus Rookie, an easier version of the game designed for kids ages 4 and up. Just like in the original version, players must roll the ball to the starting point and then flip, twist, and spin Perplexus Rookie to move the ball around the numbered path and the 70 different obstacles to the end.
Why It’s Fun
This is a great introduction to the world of Perplexus and three-dimensional puzzle mazes. Kids will develop the skill necessary to complete the harder puzzle as they bend, twist, and turn Perplexus Rookie, trying to maneuver the ball around the barriers. Kids can compete against friends to see who can solve the puzzle the fastest or race against the clock to beat their personal best score.
Who It’s For
Perplexus Rookie is for ages 4 and up.
What to Be Aware of
Some kids may still get frustrated with this game. Make sure kids know that it's okay if the ball falls off the track. It will happen eventually to every player, and the real play is in seeing how far you can get. When you get frustrated, just start over and try again.
For older players or those who are ready for the next challenge, there is Perplexus Original and Perplexus Epic.