(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
The MEGA Bloks Lil Builder playset is a construction set for younger kids. With this 25-piece set, even a preschooler can build his or her own workbench and tools. There is even a pretend hard hat that is adjustable to fit kids ages 1—3. The hard hat also serves as the lid for the plastic container that holds all the pieces. Lil Builder comes with a construction-themed sticker set.
Why It’s Fun
This is a great first building set for kids, and the classic theme inspires all kinds of creative grown-up-style roleplay. The MEGA Bloks pieces are chunky enough for small hands to work with as their fine motor skills are developing, and they stay together really well. The set inspires a lot of creative play as kids pretend to hammer and screw in nails using the tools they've built. The included hard hat encourages children to pretend being builders—perhaps like workers they see in construction sites in their neighborhoods.
Who It’s For
MEGA Bloks Lil Builder is for ages 1 and up.
What to Be Aware of
While the workbench is easy for little kids to put together, mom and dad will need to offer assistance when putting the tools together.
We found that the hard hat lid doesn't stay on top of the plastic container very well, so always pick up the container from the bottom and not from the lid.