(actual price may vary)
TimetoPlayMag.com Ratings and Reviews
At TimetoPlayMag.com, we want to engage, inform and entertain our readers to give them the benefit of our knowledge, experience and the breadth of products we cover. We look at more than 10,000 new toys and children’s products every year, and our primary purpose is to help you make the best choices for the kids in your life.
Our goal is to give you the real story on what you’ll find when you bring a toy home. And we know that every kid and every family is different. That’s why we always say: “The hot toy is only hot if it’s hot for your child.”
Our editorial team has more than 100 years combined experience working in the toy industry. Our rating system ranks toys on 4 key criteria:
- Fun — Does it engage the child? Does it inspire imaginative play? Does it contribute to creative expression? Is it entertaining?
- Repeat Play OR Collectibility — Some toys are played with, some are collected. If we feel a toy is better suited for collectibility, we’ll rank it based on Collectibility instead of Repeat Play.
- Repeat Play — Will kids come back to it over time? Does the toy allow diverse imaginative play experiences? Does it provide longer-term play value?
- Collectibility — Some toys may have limited traditional play, but kids will treasure them as collectibles.
- Assembly/Instructions — Is the toy easy to assemble? Are the instructions clear?
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about what makes great toys and exciting play experiences. We want to help you create the best experiences for your kids and your family.
Ultimately, you’re the best judge of what you want to bring into your home — and what’s best for your kids. And because you’re an important part of the Time to Play family, we invite you to let us know if you ever find an error or have any ideas how we can better help you. After all, we exist for one reason: to help you have more fun!
What It Is
The Peek-a-Shoe Octopus is an interactive toy that combines classic ball drop play with the game of peek-a-boo. Babies drop one of the five colored balls into the top of the octopus. Then they lift up the octopus' shoes to find the ball. The octopus talks and guides the child with phrases such as, "Can you find the ball?" and "Peek-a-boo! You found it under the green shoe." Other play modes include numbers and music. Peek-a-Shoe Octopus helps children develop their fine motor skills through ball dropping while introducing them to colors and numbers.
Why It’s Fun
Through its many different phrases, the Peek-a-Shoe Octopus guides children, which may foster independent play for infants. Babies will also like the classic ball drop play pattern and the different sea creature images on the balls. The play is different every time, adding surprise and fun for babies.
Who It’s For
Peek-a-Shoe Octopus is for ages 9—36 months.
What to Be Aware of
Peek-a-Shoe Octopus requires two AA batteries.
While the age grading goes up to 3 years, this will probably appeal more to younger children who are most intrigued by the ball dropping play pattern.