By Piera Jolly, Founder and Editor, JollyMom.com
As a mom, I’m always looking for quick and easy snacks for my toddler and this is especially true in the summer when we are always on the run to the next fun activity or place. The truth is that snacks can not only be easy, but they can be FUN too! Below are some of our favorites–your kids will think you are the coolest mom or dad ever when you serve them these fun and easy treats!
- Turn the same old snack into something special by serving a sandwich on a stick (pictured below). Just cut everything that you would use on a sandwich and place it on a skewer. This is a fun snack that kids love and a great chance for parents to sneak in some healthy stuff. Try adding lettuce, tomatoes, olives, peppers, pickles, and any veggie you can think of. Fruit is also great!
- Take chips to another level by using cookie cutters to cut out “chips” from a tortilla (pictured above). Put them on a cookie sheet, spray with a little bit cooking spray, and bake at 400 degrees for 5-6 minutes (or until lightly toasted). Serve with a side of salsa or marinara sauce. You can also make these sweet by sprinkling them with a bit of cinnamon sugar. Serve with some fruit salsa or yogurt to dip in.
- Trail mix (pictured above) is also a great year-round snack. What I love about it is that you can make it as healthy as you want and best of all–it is extremely portable. Since we’re always on the run in the summer, it’s always helpful to have a stash of trail mix in the cupboard! Making it is a snap–mix together a variety of cereals, nuts, pretzels, and a sweet treat (M&Ms, yogurt covered raisins, dried fruit, etc). Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
- And, it wouldn’t be summer without some cold, sweet treats to cool down at the end of a fun-filled day! We love making ice pops made from either left over smoothies, 100% fruit juice, or yogurt. Another favorite is homemade “ice cream” sandwiches. These are so easy and so delicious! Take graham crackers and spread with either whipped topping or yogurt and freeze.
- Finally, the best snack of all during the summer is fruit! It is portable, healthy, and delicious!