An Interview with Barbie
Jim Silver interviews our favorite girl, Barbie, on the Eve of her 50th Birthday!
- Barbie, lots of women freak out when turning 50, but you seem to be taking it in stride. What's your secret?
- You look like you haven't aged through the years? Any plastic surgery or botox you've been hiding from us?
- You've been dressed by such fashion icons, such as Bob Mackie. What are your favorite, never get rid of, outfits?
- What did you play with when you were young?
- You're going out driving. Taking your Corvette or Jeep?
- Barbie, you've sustained your popularity for 50 years. As times and eras have passed, you've remained popular. What's the key to remaining hip to so many different generations?
- Do you consider yourself a role model to young girls; if so, what do you hope they learn from you?
- Through the years many people have taken shots at you through the media. Would you like to answer those critics?
- You dated Ken, dumped him for Blaine, and got back with Ken. So, who's the man and what about marriage?
- Barbie, I'm going to throw so names out at you. Can you respond with one of these words: Marry, Date, or Pass?
- So, what's next?
I have to say, plastic is really fantastic, on so many levels - it's the reason I make such a "smooth" transition from year to year. And, having an amazing team of stylists and fashion designers, plus a house on the beach in Malibu doesn't hurt either! Also, this year is such a fun year of celebrations with friends and partners around the world.
Define plastic surgery...
Pick a favorite? Impossible! I love everything in it - every piece has a story or may inspire a girl's imagination somewhere in the world.
And, everything stays in my closet! Over the years, more than 70 of the biggest names in fashion - you know, Calvin, Donna, Versace, Vera - have designed looks just for me.
I'm also a bit shoe obsessed? With one billion pairs of shoes in my closet, I definitely couldn't live without my heels!
I am a teenager at heart, so anything and everything with fashion has been my top pick since day one. And, I absolutely love my new Pink World House - it's so much fun!
These days, I've traded in gas-guzzling drives along Pacific Coast Highway for more eco-friendly outdoor fun - like riding my horse or taking a walk on the beach.
From the very beginning, I have always reflected fashion, culture and aspiration - and I always change with the times. I was mod in the 60s, a disco queen in the 70s, sported big shoulder pads in the 80s, wore my hair big and permed in the 90s and got a modern makeover in the new millennium. I've never shied away from makeovers - or makeunders - to stay in step with the times and to let generations of girls make their own personal fashion statement through play. Truthfully, it's about changing as girls change while always staying true to myself.
To have the courage to dream and, as girls, try on different roles and interests.
That means that girls of all ages should dare to dream big, play hard and laugh until their belly hurts. I hope girls always love their families and friends, their pets and their planet. And most of all, I hope girls love being little girls for as long as they want to be!
I've learned through the years, that it's just a part of being in the limelight. When you talk to my friends and family - and the three generations of girls who have grown up with me - you'll get the real story.
Did we get back together? Ken is actually a very good friend now - he has been by my side for decades and he will always be a part of my life. Now, you may have seen me in a lot of different designer wedding gowns, but don't get any ideas. I'm just too busy for boyfriends or marriage these days. Right now, I'm just concentrating on my careers and projects ... this year alone I'll be starring in two made-for-DVD movies, trying out a few new careers like a SeaWorld Trainer and planning my 50th birthday bash at my newly decorated Malibu Dream House on March 9th. It's a busy year!
Brad Pitt: I think anyone would agree, I'd just be happy to be in the same room with him!
Channing Tatum: We'd sure look good walking the runway together at New York Fashion Week!
Lil Wayne: Anyone who's off limits is off my radar!
David Spade: A guy who can make you laugh is worth keeping, but does he date women who wear stilettos?
Ozzy Osborne: I think the Prince of Darkness prefers redheads!
He-Man: Oh, He-Man and I have been friends for decades. Something tells me that She-Ra might have a problem with us dating, though.
Bruce Wayne: How can you not like a philanthropist?
Chad Michael Murray: I don't think I'll be leaving Malibu anytime soon for One Tree Hill.
What isn't next? I believe in a world without limits. Anything can happen in the next 50 years! This amazingly fun year is really just the beginning of a new chapter of my storied life.